First Baptist Church of Morris dates back to April 19,
1955, when forty-four members gathered at a meeting in the Baptist Hall at the
La Grande Hotel.
A baptismal service held in Artichoke Lake Baptist
Church on Easter Sunday had ten persons becoming charter members. On May 10,
1955, 19 people met to incorporate under Minnesota Laws and become affiliated
with the Conservative Baptist Association of America and Minnesota.
Pastor Harold Reemtsma of Northwestern College was
called as the first full-time pastor on July 1, 1956.
In March of 1960 the church broke ground for the
construction of a basement auditorium. The basement was roofed over and used
for worship and for Sunday School. They dedicated it on Sunday, February 12,
The upper structure of the church was begun in January
of 1972 under the leadership of Rev. Curly Werth. Services were first held on
December 17, 1972, with a formal dedication and open house held on January 14,
1973. Most of the work was done by the pastor and faithful members and friends.